PDA

View Full Version : RIFT Thoughts

Ardhiel
02-18-2011, 07:55 AM
I thought I'd throw together a thread of my impressions from my limited exposure to RIFT. I figure this can be a sort of growing thread to cover the positives, the concerns, Q&A, and comparisons to WOW. Here it Goes

Positives

-The Ascendant Class System
--Each class has 8 +1 souls (think Talent Trees like WOW but better)
--You can have 3 souls active at one time and can points in any of them.
--As you spend points, you unlock powers in the root of the tree.
---The more points, the more powers from that soul

-Quad Spec
--Combine that with the flexible class system and suddenly one character has a ton of options

-Rifts and 10 man Rift Raids
--I think the increase in world events to participate in will relate to more World PvP

-PvP focused
--It seems this game has a little more focus on PvP, both World and Battlegrounds, than WOW. I'm hopeful that PvP will be fun and engaging in this game.

-Graphic Style
--It's different and less cartoonish than WOW. I prefer it

Concerns

-PvP and PvE Gear are separate
--Same as WOW
--I don't care for this as a casual player.
--I'd rather earn the same points in PvE as I do in PvP and let me buy the gear I want.

-Faction Based
--Same as WOW
--I prefer a more Open guild/nation based world

-20 Man Raids only
--I like the ease of 10 man raids. 20 may be fine, but I have my concerns
--there are 10 man Rift Raids that may offset this concern

-Lack of Dungeon Finder
--I may have missed it, but I don't see anything similar to the dungeon finder.
--Personally, I like dungeon finder even if I try for all guild groups most of the time

Questions

-Will this game be here in 6 months, will we have a strong GoW base?
--No way to answer, but something to wonder with every new game

-Is there an Auction House
-Yes

-Are there 5 man Dungeons
-Yes

-Will the game support Addons?
--It seems unclear but possibly not.
--Personally, I like community supported addons

Thoughts

There is some interesting stuff to this game that has me intrigued, but it seems to have a lot of the same issues that WOW has in my opinion. I don't like different gear for PvP and PvE. I also want PvP with a purpose. Give me towns to take over, resources to fight over. Give me a place to stand and defend. I know that comes from my rose glasses memories of Shadowbane, but battleground PvP is just meh to me. I'm hopeful that the World PvP will be engaging though.

I wonder how many of the minor polish things in WOW will be missing. I like the dungeon finder and the addons. How much will I miss those things? Maybe I won't, I'm not sure. There are some intriguing things about this game but I wonder if there is enough to make it worth jumping ship from WOW.

What are your thoughts? Anything to Add?

Jyve_Turkey
02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, you bring up a lot of good points, Dave. Will it be around in 6 months, probably. Will we have a strong presence there, I doubt it. I know I've been high on this game, but for longevity I'm worried. I'm still hopeful, just a bit worried with the linear play and lack of starting zones. I like what trion's done with reverting pvp servers back to the way there were. One thing you can't argue with though. Its brought some of us old schoolers back to the fold. A lot of wow'ers don't even know who oneo and I are. I think we were a pretty big part of GoW back in the day. Hell, I still think you guys wouldn't be pvping if it weren't for Chris and I :)

As for open world/NvN combat. That's done. Shadowbane was the last of a dying genre. Yeah, Eve is open pvp, but I don't consider it the same. We are just too small a market to cater to. The "kill friend and foe alike" demographic isn't big enough to make a game for. We can't only hope SBemu makes it.

Class/Tree diversity is pretty huge, I like that. Rift events are fun. Now factor in getting rolled by or rolling the opposite faction while one's going down...that's a party!

Seriously, you pvp'd in pve gear in wow? That's not fun at all. I was the definition of a casual wow player, and I was still able to have a set for both.

Just my 2 cents.

OneO
02-21-2011, 10:09 PM
my two cents

first role will be ranger/assassin/marksman 2nd will be assassin/marksman/bard .

i dont know how to play a bard but that build fits my needs so ill give er a whirl.

amazing beta , think what they will be able to do when the have a steady cash flow . im hopeful , the beta was better than shadowbane ( issues wise ) and way better than the wow beta . the ablity to swap out roles fits my need to tinker without grinding out levels agian . gear seems pretty easy to get . quest , pvp rift events .....

didnt get to run more than 1/3rd of a instance , so im kinda unable to comment but i didnt think the first one was anything to hoot about. hope the higher level stuff will be better.
leveling seems pretty easy , i could go 1 -10 i bet in 3 hours . thats good for us gamers who have kids now . / i cant afford to grind and grind to stay even. hope the curve doesnt flatten out too bad . i saw jabooty was in the 30 mebbe he can comment on that.
massive quests , what can i say , very little zonewide running needed , and every quest seems to have 3 others that you can . run in tandam . makes it easy to level to me .

i hope , and i mean hope they dont go into 40 man raids . that drove me out of WoW. i dont have 40 people i like well enough to want to wait around for them to get their shit together. fighting over drops i dont even want to get into
im hoping that you can get what you need doing 10 mans and 5 mans. if you have to raid massivelyito keep up im not gonna last,
im geeked to play , but yall need to know with my daughters medical issues ,im poor as poor can be. I accrued over 91,000 in medical bills with her surgery ( 5 days in peds ICU with do that ) so im not 100% sure when ill be able to get cash together to play . ill talk to the wife tonight . we on a tight tight budget..

to recap , great game , i wish i could play all day , i havent been this geeked since shadowbane ,

thanks for the words jyve , if you hadnt griefed me i would never have gotten so pissed that i started RPKing .

i will not be crafting. i wont be farming . i wont be knitting, sewing , fishing , bowling , or any other thing that doesnt involve slipping a blade into someones back and scooting before i get caught , thats it . im here to PK .

Jehuty
02-21-2011, 10:39 PM
That sucks man, I hope you can find a way to play and I hope the little one gets better. I just started my peds rotation so my heart goes out to you. Be good to gank some scrubs with you again tho.

Goros
02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Yarr.

Hey Chris, leveling stays even. It only slowed down for me because I stopped to level my professions for enchants & leather. I made it to 30, booty hit 36 and he took 2 days off.

Fuck booty started this wave of beta at 24...I started at 1.

So yeah, no worries.

Josh went from 1-15 in 5 hours.

Jyve_Turkey
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I know what you're saying about the leveling curve. Since SB I've found it hard to actually sit in front of the pc and play for any huge lengths of time. I'm excited for this game, don't get me wrong, but I still don't foresee myself sitting for hours on end grinding it out. I'll hit the cap, but long after a lot of you have. I'll do the crafting and such just to break the monotony and I'll run dungeons, but my primary goal is to PK people.

Chris, biggest issue the cost of the client or the monthly fee or both? Hit me up in pm, I'll try to help out. I want you there to help me teach the WoWers what its all about :)

OneO
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
ill pm ya at some point . ill talk to the wife when we dont have 5000 billion things going on . im not looking for a handout just understanding about whats going on in my life .

Lugan
02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
my buddy just got me a pre-order and the "head start" starts tomorrow. also played a little beta and had alot of fun with it. alot like wow, but still fun in its own way. i'm sure they will listen and update as needed, if not this wont make 6 months. playn on Lotham i think, its a pvp server. join me if u want or post up here where u guys r playn.

also have to add that the interface is completely customizable. u can have tons of bars and size em to what u want already.

Goros
02-24-2011, 06:44 AM
We already did Lugan, we're on Reclaimer. Most of us that are playing are from the old Shadowbane crowd, so we're here for the PvP. That and the epic win that isn't wow.

ALSO

Dave, there are 10 man raids, and 20 man raids. 10 mans are riftraids, 20's are instanced. 10 man...public...raids. people can come mess with you while raiding.... AWESOME. Videos of both are posted here on the homepage (see sanctum 7) and the other movie is posted i think in general.

Lugan
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
wait times are ftl, i'm waiting to get on reclaimer. 193 in que, lol

Goros
02-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Im home, and at 447.

However, I got to 11 with no queues earlier, so its fair i suppose.

zinjex
02-25-2011, 05:21 AM
chris you bastage i just read that bottom line. At least i dont gargle like you :P